Thursday 16 February 2012

You have to laugh...

The end of the week is near. I started the day with a trial which didn't get off the ground- the Crown ended up offering no evidence on a charge which, if even it had gone to trial, they would never have been able to prove. I sometimes wonder who, if anyone, reviews these cases. Anyway, I got back to Chambers fairly early and was preparing for a trial coming up next week when I got a phone call at 3:30pm. It was my clerk. "Sir" he began. Now when your clerk calls you 'Sir', it usually means that they are about to ask you something which they know you're not going to be happy about. "Do you mind heading up to the Magistrates' Court. There's someone in custody and all the lawyers have gone." So off I go. I get there and speak with the prosecutor. The Defendant is facing an indictable only offence and so will be sent forthwith to the Crown Court. A cursory reading of the papers reveals, among other things, that he is said to have jumped from the top of  a three story building in an effort to make good his escape. I go down to the cells and spot him straight away sitting on a bench with his leg completely in plaster. I decide to avoid any questions about the leg. I take instructions regarding bail and head straight back up to court- it now being gone 5pm. The Crown, predictably, object to bail. I take one look at the Defendant and say "look at him- he's not going to commit further offences, he can hardly walk." This one-liner seems to do the trick and he was released with a stern warning from myself to behave. I never know if that has any effect at all but it's worth a go. Him and his family seemed to take a shine to me, so hopefully I'll see them all again in the Crown Court. Well it's late and I must go. Friday tomorrow which is always a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment